List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Andy Smith Date:May 18 2003 9:39am
Subject:Re: Linux x86 file size limit w.r.t. MySQL
View as plain text
On Thu, May 15, 2003 at 11:08:32AM -0500, Dan Nelson wrote:
> In the last episode (May 15), Andy Smith said:
> > One of our tables has grown to 4GB.  We are using Linux 2.4.20 on x86
> > with ext3 fs.  I have read the MySQL manual which seesm to suggest
> > that the RAID option is the only way forward.
> >
> > Has anyone else had any luck getting 4GB+ tables on this platform
> > with e.g. reiserfs?  Or maybe there is some kernel option I am
> > missing.
>
> By default, MyISAM datafiles have a 4gb limit so they can use 4-byte
> record pointers.  To tell mysqld that a particular table will be larger
> than 4gb, you need to give it estimated rowlength and record volumes
> with ALTER TABLE.  This is explained in the manual; see
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Table_size.html

Thanks Dan; this is what I was looking for.

I did read that page, however my brain got as far as "if your system
supports this" and somehow immediately assumed that my system did
not support files larger than 4GB.  By the time I worked out it
did, I had forgotten the MAX_ROWS solution offered.  Have got it
working now.

Many thanks to all others who replied in this thread and privately,
too.  I should have specified I was using MyISAM and did not want to
use InnoDB unless absolutely necessary.
Thread
Linux x86 file size limit w.r.t. MySQLAndy Smith15 May
  • Re: Linux x86 file size limit w.r.t. MySQLAndy Smith15 May
  • Re: Linux x86 file size limit w.r.t. MySQLDan Nelson15 May
    • Re: Linux x86 file size limit w.r.t. MySQLAndy Smith18 May
RE: Linux x86 file size limit w.r.t. MySQLJon Wagoner15 May
RE: Linux x86 file size limit w.r.t. MySQLRobin Keech15 May