List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nils Valentin Date:May 17 2003 12:51am
Subject:Re: Explaining unix ODBC in plain english
View as plain text
Hi Mathews,

Thank you for the fast reply. It is very much appreciated.

I added some comments and questions. I want to make sure I get this 120% right
this time. Sorry if some questions seem stupid.

Thank you for the patience.

2003年 5月 16日 金曜日 12:09、あなたは書きました:

> Nils Valentin wrote:
> > To anybody reading this,
> >
> > I think there is a lot of confusion going around what unixODBC is or
>
> who it is
>
> > working. While I read myself some manuals trying to describe what each
>
> part
>
> > is doing (API, driver , MyODBC, unix ODBC, odbc.ini, odbcinst.ini,
>
> isql) I
>
> > also realized that I verry often find myself beeing trapped when thinking
> > about what part is actually reposnsible for what. Even reading the MySQL
> > documentation does not really lighten me up.
> >
> > I would very much appreciate if somebody (doesnt have to be Venu)
>
> would be
>
> > able to explain how unixODBC works in good old mostly non technical plain
> > school english. Dont get me wrong I already have installed many different
> > systems without problems (Suse, Redhat, Mandrake etc.), so I dont
>
> consider
>
> > myself as a beginner ( I believe;-), however when it really comes to the
> > small printed then I would probably have to fuzz around.
> >
> > here is where I feel unsure or that I found not clearly described in many
> > manuals:
> >
> > What is an API -Advanced programming Interface ?
>
> _A_ pplication _P_ rogramming _I_ nterface ... in layman's terms, it is
> a definition of an interface that a certain system will let your code
> use...it is usually expressed both in code (as a library your code would
> use) and in some sort of specification, such as a standards
> documentation. ODBC is an API, for example, which consists of a library
> that you use in your code, and is also an X/Open/Microsoft standard.
>
> > What is an driver ?
>
> It is code that implements some standard API (the database-specific
> parts of ODBC in this case), to allow that API to work with some other
> code. Other examples of 'drivers' are the code that allows your Linux
> kernel to talk to the various pieces of hardware in your system. For
> example, there are many different kinds of disk drives. The Linux kernel
> works with a standardized API to talk to them, but drivers translate the
> calls from this API into the hardware-specific instructions that need to
> be used with a particular disk drive.
>
> > Is an API and a driver the same ?

> No. You write your code to work with the ODBC API, a driver allows the
> ODBC API to work with some other database. The picture basically looks
> like this:
>
> [your code] -> [odbc] -> [MyODBC] -> [MySQL]

Is the above [MySQL] the server part, or the client part (mysql) that will
talk to the server part of MySQL ?

Is it correct that [MyODBC] is a driver ?

Is an API the same as a protocol ?

> > What is unixODBC ?
>
> It is an implementation of the ODBC API for Unix.

If I understood evrything correct than my picture looks now like this:

[your code/Application/OpenOffice etc.] -> [odbc/API/client side] ->
[MyODBC/driver/client side] -> [MySQL/(client or server part  ??)]

> > What is MyODBC ?
>
> It is an ODBC driver, that allows MySQL to be used with ODBC.
>
> > Is unixODBC running on the server side or client side ?
>
> Client side.
>
> > Is MyODBC running on the server side or the client side ?
>
> Client side.
>
> > Are the above two add-ons or plugins or something else ?
>
> UnixODBC is an implementation of the ODBC API, that your code can then
> use to work with databases that have ODBC drivers.
>
> > Why I need to use unixODBC and MyODBC to access data from OpenOffice ?
>
> UnixODBC provides the ODBC part (which OpenOffice talks to). MyODBC
> allows UnixODBC (or any other ODBC implementation for that matter) to
> work with MySQL...see the picture above, again.

How would the picture above change when I would want to use the jdbc API f.e
with OpenOffice and mysql ?

[OpenOffice] -> [jdbc] ->[MyJDBC]->  [MySQL] ??

>       -Mark
>
> - --
> For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/?ref=mmma
>
>     __  ___     ___ ____  __
>    /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /  Mark Matthews <mark@stripped>
>   / /|_/ / // /\ \/ /_/ / /__ MySQL AB, SW Dev. Manager - J2EE/Windows
>  /_/  /_/\_, /___/\___\_\___/ Flossmoor (Chicago), IL USA
>         <___/ www.mysql.com

Valentin Nils
Internet Technology

 E-Mail: nils@stripped
Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishNils Valentin16 May
  • Re: Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishMark Matthews16 May
    • Re: Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishDan Nelson16 May
  • Re: Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishNils Valentin17 May
    • Re: Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishmike parker17 May