List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nils Valentin Date:May 16 2003 2:28am
Subject:Explaining unix ODBC in plain english
View as plain text
To anybody reading this,

I think there is a lot of confusion going around what unixODBC is or who it is
working. While I read myself some manuals trying to describe what each part
is doing (API, driver , MyODBC, unix ODBC, odbc.ini, odbcinst.ini, isql) I
also realized that I verry often find myself beeing trapped when thinking
about what part is actually reposnsible for what. Even reading the MySQL
documentation does not really lighten me up.

I would very much appreciate if somebody (doesnt have to be Venu) would be
able to explain how unixODBC works in good old mostly non technical plain
school english. Dont get me wrong I already have installed many different
systems without problems (Suse, Redhat, Mandrake etc.), so I dont consider
myself as a beginner ( I believe;-), however when it really comes to the
small printed then I would probably have to fuzz around.

here is where I feel unsure or that I found not clearly described in many
manuals:

What is an API -Advanced programming Interface ?
What is an driver ?
Is an API and a driver the same ?
What is unixODBC ?
What is MyODBC ?
Is unixODBC running on the server side or client side ?
Is MyODBC running on the server side or the client side ?
Are the above two add-ons or plugins or something else ?
Why I need to use unixODBC and MyODBC to access data from OpenOffice ?
(explaining each parts function)

As you can see very basic questions, but as I said It would help me immensly
to REALLY understand ech parts function.

Anybody around who would kindly step forward and let me know ?

Thank you for taking your time reading this.

Best regards

Valentin Nils
Internet Technology

 E-Mail: nils@stripped
Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishNils Valentin16 May
  • Re: Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishMark Matthews16 May
    • Re: Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishDan Nelson16 May
  • Re: Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishNils Valentin17 May
    • Re: Explaining unix ODBC in plain englishmike parker17 May