List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:May 13 2003 11:08pm
Subject:Re: MySQL 3.23 Delete / ORDER BY
View as plain text
At 12:53 +0800 5/13/03, Reagen Siedl wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Can anyone tell me if 3.23 is supposed to support "ORDER BY" in the
>delete command? I have tried it but keep getting errors.

ORDER BY is supported for DELETE as of 4.0.0.

>If it doesn't can anyone suggest a way to delete the last x number of
>records in a table ordering by a specified column.

You can do a SELECT to find the values that uniquely identify these
records, then use the values to construct the appropriate DELETE
statements.  You may need to generate these DELETE statements
programmatically.

>Example:
>
>+----+---------+-------+-------+
>| id | my_name | class | total |
>+----+---------+-------+-------+
>|  1 | Reagen  | Red   |    10 |
>|  2 | John    | Red   |     3 |
>|  3 | James   | Red   |     8 |
>|  4 | Bob     | Red   |     6 |
>+----+---------+-------+-------+
>
>mysql> delete from table_name where class="Red" order by total ASC limit
>2;
>
>Should delete Bob and John.
>
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Regards,
>
>Reagen Siedl

Thread
MySQL 3.23 Delete / ORDER BYReagen Siedl14 May
  • Re: MySQL 3.23 Delete / ORDER BYFred van Engen14 May
  • Re: MySQL 3.23 Delete / ORDER BYPaul DuBois14 May
  • re: MySQL 3.23 Delete / ORDER BYVictoria Reznichenko15 May