List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 22 1999 7:15pm
Subject:strange INSERT problem
View as plain text
>>>>> "Markus" == Markus Klink <markus@stripped>
> writes:

Markus> I have a problem with INSERT commands which I cannot figure out. I have
Markus> a database of research articles and have two tables to store abstracts
Markus> in. One for articles and one for software components.

Markus> researchpaper_soft:
Markus>
> +----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+

Markus> | Field    | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
Markus> Privileges                      |
Markus>
> +----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+

Markus> | id       | varchar(100) |      |     |         |       |
Markus> select,insert,update,references |
Markus> | abstract | text         | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
Markus> select,insert,update,references |
Markus>
> +----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+

Markus> researchpaper_article:
Markus>
> +----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+

Markus> | Field    | Type         | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
Markus> Privileges                      |
Markus>
> +----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+

Markus> | id       | varchar(100) |      |     |         |       |
Markus> select,insert,update,references |
Markus> | abstract | text         | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
Markus> select,insert,update,references |
Markus>
> +----------+--------------+------+-----+---------+-------+---------------------------------+

Markus> As you can see both tables are identical.
Markus> However I cannot insert any row with the C-API into researchpaper_soft.
Markus> However if I log the queries and copy and paste one query and execute it
Markus> using the tool mysql it works. Additionally if I use the same values
Markus> which I tried to insert into researchpaper_soft and insert them into
Markus> researchpaper_article it works as well using the C-API and the mysql
Markus> tool. But if I rename researchpaper_soft into say researchpaper_software
Markus> it will not work with the C-API.

Markus> Then I created a third table researchpaper_series and the behaviour is
Markus> correct meaning I can add entries to it. The problem seems to be linked
Markus> to the fact that one table is called researchpaper_software and for some
Markus> reason I cannot insert into it.

Markus> I used mysql-3.22.20a and updated to mysql-3.23.3-alpha both on Intel
Markus> Unix platforms to no avail. Then I tried the same on a Solaris 2.6 and
Markus> still nothing. I am absolutely clueless. I will provide any other
Markus> necessary information which will give me a clue.

Markus> BTW, all insert commandos have the form:
Markus> INSERT INTO researchpaper_[soft|article] VALUES("blabla","abstract")

Markus> At a first thought before I discovered that it is actually somehow the
Markus> table who causes this problems I thought it had something to do with
Markus> escaped strings, but that is not the case.

Markus> Thank you very much,
Markus> Markus

Hi!

What is the error you get ?

Did you try to run 'isamchk -e' on the table?

The last option is to compile MySQL with --with-debug and run mysqld
with --debug.  If you now get an error, the trace file
(/tmp/mysqld.trace) will include a full log of what happens.  If you
mail this to me, I can tell you what's happening.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
strange INSERT problemMarkus Klink22 Sep
  • strange INSERT problemMichael Widenius22 Sep