List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Greg Patterson Date:September 22 1999 4:52pm
Subject:Re: MySQL and Security
View as plain text
On Wed, 22 Sep 1999, Daniel E. White wrote:

> If I connect from Machine A to a mysql server on Machine B, is there a
> means of getting to a Machine B shell ?

Connect how?

There is always a risk of bugs in software that may lead to things like
buffer overruns or backdoors. These risks may in turn lead to giving a
craker access to a shell (running as the UID/GID of the MySQL server).
None are known however.

> If so, can this be prevented ?

Firewall security. If nobody but users from Machine A should be
connecting to Machine B's MySQL port, then block everybody but
them and remove telnet access and any of the various unneeded
services.

|    Greg Patterson      | EMAIL: gomer@stripped        |
|                        |        gomer@stripped              |
| Linux: The choice of a | IRC:   xed (Irc.OpenProjects.Net)   |
| GNU generation!        | WWW:   http://www.linuxhelp.org/    |

MySQL and SecurityDaniel E. White22 Sep
  • Re: MySQL and SecurityGreg Patterson22 Sep