List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Curtis Maurand Date:May 8 2003 2:14am
Subject:Re: mySQL Design Question
View as plain text
How is the data going in?  are you updating the hit count?  then its easy.

select site,hits,bytes from table order by hits desc limit 10

Curtis

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Sam Evans wrote:

> I've been faced with an interesting design dilemma..  I have a pretty
> straight forward table such as:
>
> +------------+------------------------+----------+------------+-------------------+
> | keyid (INT) |  site (VARCHAR 250) | hits (INT) | bytes (INT) | dts
> (DATETIME) |
> +------------+------------------------+----------+------------+-------------------+
>
> This table will keep track of 7 days worth of data..  What I'm tasked
> with, is to come up with a method that will take the 7 days of data, and
> produce a top X sites over the 7 day period based on either cumulative
> hits / bytes.
>
> For example, to show the stop 25 Websites by way of hits for the last 7
> days.
>
> In perl/php I could easily select * from table WHERE (dts BETWEEN
> start_date AND end_date), push the results into a hash and do my
> additions from within the hash.  Unfortunately, the language I am
> programming this in, is not perl/php but is cold fusion.
>
> My question, does it make sense to create a stored procedure that does
> this, and just returns the data I want to present to the user?  Or,
> should I figure out some way for Cold Fusion to emulate the perl/php
> hash method?  (And no, I can't ditch Cold Fusion -- I tried already. ;)  )
>
> Thanks for any tips / help.
>
> -Sam

Curtis Maurand
mailto:curtis@stripped
http://www.maurand.com

Thread
mySQL Design QuestionSam Evans7 May
  • Re: mySQL Design QuestionDan Nelson7 May
  • Re: mySQL Design QuestionCurtis Maurand8 May