List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Basil Hussain Date:May 6 2003 2:08pm
Subject:RE: How big can a SELECT be?
View as plain text
Hi,

> I have a tablestructure that in rare circumstances must be searched via
> a SELECT statement that will be of 30-35Kb in size.
>
> I was wondering if this is possible or if I have a max. SELECT size
> that cant be expanded.

I suspect your only real limits will be:

a) The max_allowed_packet config variable setting. You should check this to
see if your 35KB query string will fit (with the command: SHOW VARIABLES
LIKE 'max_allowed_packet'). If not, you can increase the size in your my.cnf
file. The protocol's absolute limit is 16MB, though.

b) The number of tables (or aliases) referenced in a single query. I think
it's something like 128, off the top of my head. You'll have to check the
manual.

Regards,

Basil Hussain
Internet Developer, Kodak Weddings
E-Mail: basil.hussain@stripped

Thread
How big can a SELECT be?Kaj Didriksen6 May
  • Re: How big can a SELECT be?Cal Evans6 May
    • Re[2]: How big can a SELECT be?Stefan Hinz6 May
      • RE: Re[2]: How big can a SELECT be?Daevid Vincent7 May
  • RE: How big can a SELECT be?Basil Hussain6 May
AW: How big can a SELECT be?Thorsten Schmidt6 May