List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 21 1999 10:16pm
Subject:Re: MySQL Rename Bug
View as plain text
>>>>> "Bob" == Bob Kline <bkline@stripped> writes:

Bob> On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, mtweito wrote:
>> > I am trying to add a column to a table:

mysql> alter table vendor_order_method_details add column ORDER_FTP_DIRECTORY
>> varchar(60);
>>
>> I get this error:
>> ERROR 7: Error on rename of './bike/vendor_order_method_details.frm' to
>> './bike/B-1.frm' (Errcode: 17)
>>
>> Any idea what this error is or how I am causing it?
>>

Bob> This is speculation, but since Errcode 17 is frequently mapped to
Bob> EEXIST, perhaps MySQL was inadvertantly set up to allow only one ALTER
Bob> TABLE statement per table.  Seems wildly unlikely, though.  So does the
Bob> theory that two people tried to issue an ALTER TABLE request on the same
Bob> table simultaneously.  Well, I'm out of theories, so I'll stop babbling
Bob> and let someone who really knows what's going on post an answer.

Hi!

Another option is that some old ALTER TABLE has failed and left a
B-1.frm behind.

The fix in this case is go to the database directory and delete all
files that has a '-' in their name!

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Consulting helpjoechild20 Sep
  • Re: Consulting helpTonu Samuel20 Sep
  • MySQL Rename Bugmtweito21 Sep
    • Re: MySQL Rename BugBob Kline21 Sep
      • Re: MySQL Rename BugMichael Widenius22 Sep