List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:April 25 2003 11:16pm
Subject:Re: Index File Size
View as plain text
In the last episode (Apr 25), Keith C. Ivey said:
> On 25 Apr 2003 at 15:31, David Griffiths wrote:
> > We've used the Raid option with MySQL-Max to split this large table
> > up; I haven't come across anything to split up the indexes....
> >
> > Any suggestions?

Not really.  Stop indexing a couple columns? :)  As long as your OS can
handle files over 2gb there shouldn't really be any problems with an
index that big.  Same for the data also.  RAID was really just a hack
for Linux 2.2 kernels.  You'll save a lot of file pointers by just
creating one large table if you can.

> You might consider merge tables, especially if you're not always
> using all the data -- for example, if you're often only interested in
> the last few months' worth.

Mysql currently can't optimize MERGE tables very well at all, though,
so they're not as useful as you might think.  Maybe in 4.1 they will be
implemented with the subquery code and get optimized better.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped