List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jonathan Disher Date:April 24 2003 11:55pm
Subject:Re: performance
View as plain text
Unfortunately, FreeBSD is not the greatest for running a database server on
an SMP architecture... Not yet, anyway.  Hopefully 5.1-R or 5.2-R will fix
that.  And by the way, IMO, stay away from 5.0, it's not ready for prime
time yet.  My testing showed (for our application, anyway) that 4.7 and 4.8
with LinuxThreads was most excellent.

I've succeeded in getting MySQL built against LinuxThreads on FreeBSD, with
the gracious help of Jeremy Zawodny and his build statements.  There's an
entry in his blog (http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/000458.html) that
is a good starting place to make this work.  I can forward my personal
configure statement to you, if you like.

Another question... You say that you're running a RAID10 array.  How many
disks?  A 2x2 array is decent, but a 4x2 will run much faster.  What's your
stripe set size - 64k? 128k? 256k? a meg?  Can you afford the risk of going
to a straight RAID0 of all your disks?

Another person noted that you're doing a lot of "select *"'s, do you really
need to grab all the columns all the time?

-j