List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:April 24 2003 11:14pm
Subject:Re: performance
View as plain text
In the last episode (Apr 24), Ryan R. Tharp said:
> Running MySQL 4.0.12 on a dual Xeon 2.8ghz with 2gb memory running
> FreeBSD 4.8 on a Hardware RAID 0+1 SCSI HDDs
> Have this table that I'm trying to optimize for. It has 1.1million
> rows with 29 fields averaging 506 Bytes per row. We've considered
> splitting the table but we don't have enough developer time available
> to convert all the code that uses the table. So we'd like just to
> throw hardware/memory at it for the time being.
> Some software tricks I've tried are playing with:
> Dynamic sized rows and static sized rows
> InnoDB and MyISAM
> Indexes and No Indexes
> Primary Keys and No Primary Key (Just an Index for the auto-increment)
> I wrote a benchmark that tests most of these scenarios and then I
> began to adjust the various mysql buffers but to my amazement the
> benchmarks ran best when I didn't set any buffers in the my.cnf at
> all.
> Also the fastest benchmark numbers aren't that fast. Is this table
> too big? Any other optimization tips to try? Any one have any ideas
> or suggestions?

We need more data.  Are you currently CPU bound?  I/O bound?  "top" and
"systat -v"  will tell you that.  Are you doing many small queries, or
mainly complicated selects?  Lots of updates, or lots of selects?  How
many indexes, and are your queries using them?

	Dan Nelson
performanceRyan R. Tharp25 Apr
  • Re: performanceDan Nelson25 Apr
  • Re: performanceRyan R. Tharp25 Apr