List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ryan R. Tharp Date:April 24 2003 11:11pm
Subject:performance
View as plain text
Running MySQL 4.0.12 on a dual Xeon 2.8ghz with 2gb memory running FreeBSD 4.8 on a
Hardware RAID 0+1 SCSI HDDs

Have this table that I'm trying to optimize for. It has 1.1million rows with 29 fields
averaging 506 Bytes per row. We've considered splitting the table but we don't have
enough developer time available to convert all the code that uses the table. So we'd like
just to throw hardware/memory at it for the time being.

Some software tricks I've tried are playing with:
Dynamic sized rows and static sized rows
InnoDB and MyISAM
Indexes and No Indexes
Primary Keys and No Primary Key (Just an Index for the auto-increment)

I wrote a benchmark that tests most of these scenarios and then I began to adjust the
various mysql buffers but to my amazement the benchmarks ran best when I didn't set any
buffers in the my.cnf at all.

Also the fastest benchmark numbers aren't that fast. Is this table too big? Any other
optimization tips to try? Any one have any ideas or suggestions?

-Ryan.

Thread
performanceRyan R. Tharp25 Apr
  • Re: performanceDan Nelson25 Apr