List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Colin McKinnon Date:September 21 1999 11:39am
Subject:Re: GROUP and ORDER
View as plain text
At 17:13 20/09/99 +0200, Frank Oellien wrote:

<snip>
>select Cell from tablename group by Cell;
>I see that mysqld i8s working (see it with top in a second shell) but it
>will not return anything - no results, no failure, nothing.The mysql
>prompt is also not coming back.
>
>What is the matter?
<snip>
Frank,

If you use the mysqlbug program (installed in the mysql bin directory) it
will generate lots of useful information to go along with your message -
like the version of MySQL.

The query works OK for me (see end of message). Suggest you check what it's
trying to do (ps, top, vmstat, mysqladmin) and give some indication of the
size of the database and number of values you expected it to return.

Have you tried running isamchk on the relvant files?

Also, you might try
	select distinct cell from tablename;

Colin

mysql> select count(*) from tillroll
    -> ;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
|     4395 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> select dept from tillroll group by dept;
+------+
| dept |
+------+
| 1    |
| 2    |
| 3    |
| 4    |
| 5    |
| 6    |
| 7    |
| 8    |
| 9    |
+------+
9 rows in set (0.03 sec)

Thread
GROUP and ORDERFrank Oellien20 Sep
  • Re: GROUP and ORDERTonu Samuel20 Sep
  • Re: GROUP and ORDERColin McKinnon21 Sep