List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:April 18 2003 7:08pm
Subject:Re: Spreading Tables Across Disks
View as plain text
At 13:32 -0500 4/18/03, mazur wrote:
>Yes, my intent is to improve I/O.
>
>Interesting....ok, so I guess I didn't realize (but am reading more
>and more about it) that MySQL would take advantage of a RAID
>configuration.  I actually currently have "disk A" as 2 scsi drive in
>RAID 1 (that's the mirrored option, right?).
>
>So if I were to add disk B and C (I can fit 6 hard drives), my intent
>would be for those to be under RAID too (my initial intent of this was
>  purely for safety in case I lose a drive).  I thought that RAID was
>down to the hardware level and the apps (in this case, MySQL) wouldn't
>  even know that the hard drive is being mirrored.  But it does, huh?

No, it's a "software raid" that MySQL performs.  To enable it, compile
the distribution with the --with-raid option.  Then you can add appropriate
table options to CREATE TABLE statements when you create a MyISAM
table. (RAID_TYPE, RAID_CHUNKS, RAID_CHUNKSIZE).

--
Paul DuBois
http://www.kitebird.com/