List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Terry Riley Date:April 18 2003 3:07pm
Subject:Re: last_insert_id() with multiple users
View as plain text
> Howdy All!
>
> This is not mine, but a comment I found in the manual that I would very
> much
> like to see answered.
>

> How does the combination of auto_increment and last_insert_id() work in
> concurrent situation:
> User1 inserts with auto_increment, and for some reason is delayed with
> the
> last_insert_id() call.
> User2 inserts with auto_increment.
> User2 calls last_insert_id()
> User1 finally calls last_insert_id()
>
> Which id does User1 get?
> Which id does User2 get?
>
> http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/example-AUTO_INCREMENT.html
>

> Any helpful answers would by much appreciated!
>
> Rob

ISTR that each last_insert_id() is relevant only to its own
thread/connection - ie it will only give the last id for the bod that does
the insert concerned. However, I don't know how long the delay might be
able to last.....

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Getting_unique_ID.html

Cheers
Terry

Thread
last_insert_id() with multiple usersRobert Mark Bram18 Apr
  • Re: last_insert_id() with multiple users(Terry Riley)18 Apr
    • Re: last_insert_id() with multiple usersBernhard Döbler22 Apr
  • Re: last_insert_id() with multiple usersDan Nelson18 Apr