List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:April 13 2003 5:39am
Subject:Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fields
View as plain text
In the last episode (Apr 13), Matt Loschert said:
> That may be the case, but I would assume (again, I guess incorrectly)
> that on a given architecture, the following two values would be
> treated identically.  Is quoting really supposed to change the
> representation of the number?

Most definitely.

> CREATE TABLE test1 (field1 decimal(12,2));
> INSERT INTO test1 VALUES ('0.005');
> INSERT INTO test1 VALUES ( 0.005 );
> SELECT * FROM test1;
> +--------+
> | field1 |
> +--------+
> |   0.00 |
> |   0.01 |
> +--------+
> 2 rows in set (0.02 sec)

The first is inserting a string value, which is probably just copied
directly into the DECIMAL field (with truncation).  The second is
inserting a floating-point value, which has to have been parsed from
the original ASCII SQL statement into a float, then converted back into
ASCII to store into the DECIMAL field.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsMatt Loschert10 Apr
  • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsgerald_clark11 Apr
RE: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsClifton R [CC] Jones11 Apr
  • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsgerald_clark11 Apr
    • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsMatt Loschert11 Apr
      • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsDoug Thompson11 Apr
        • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsMatt Loschert12 Apr
          • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsDoug Thompson12 Apr
            • More on enumMartin Gainty12 Apr
            • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsMatt Loschert13 Apr
              • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsDoug Thompson13 Apr
              • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsDan Nelson13 Apr
                • Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsMatt Loschert14 Apr
Re: rounding/truncation of decimal fieldsMoon79611 Apr