List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred Lindberg Date:September 20 1999 2:44pm
On Mon, 20 Sep 1999 13:38:34 +0000 (GMT), Darren.Tracey@stripped
wrote:

>I received confirmation from the list server that I was unsubscribed,
>went on leave, remotely accessed my mail one week later to find
>my inbox stuffed with posts from this list.
>I've sent the unsubscribe request again.
>Lets see if it works.

If you do as instructed and send a message to the address listed in the
"List-Unsubscribe" header, then confirm, you'll be off. You'll receive
a "GOODBYE from ..." message.

PROVIDED THAT your current address is the same that you're subscribed
under (not true in your case - see below). However, if this is not the
case, it does not work. The text sent with all admin requests gives
instructions on how to proceed, including the option of forwarding a
list message (with all headers) to the mysql-owner@stripped
address.

In your case, you received an "ezmlm response" telling you that the
address you tried to unsubscribe wasn't on the list to begin with. This
means that your current address is not the one you're subscribed as.
Try the address in the header instead or forward a list message (with
all headers) to mysql-owner@stripped. See rfc2369 for a generic
solution which will put an end to these problems. This lists supports
rfc2369 as does e.g. Pegasus mail.

>Its very easy to assume that only an idiot couldn't unsubscribe from this list.

I would never assume that. >95% of attempts are successful. Some of the
remainder are technical problems (e.g. defective mail programs), but
the majority is failure to read the messages/understand the
instructions. Human intervention by mysql-owner, or postmaster is there
to help for ALL these cases. Following up on such questions posted to
the list is IMHO useful to remind everyone about the
resources/solutions available.

Specific instructions:

darren.tracey@stripped):

1999-09-08 11:23:32 dtracey@stripped + Darren Tracey
<dtracey@stripped>

If you send a message to
mysql-unsubscribe-dtracey=thiess.com.au@stripped it will work.

Cheers!

-Sincerely, Fred

memoryYavuz SERT9 Sep
  • memoryJani Tolonen9 Sep
  • Re: memoryYavuz SERT10 Sep
  • Re: memoryChristian Mack13 Sep
  • Re: memoryYavuz SERT14 Sep
    • Re: memoryMichael Widenius14 Sep
  • R E M O V E ! ! ! REMOVE REMOVE UNSUBSCRIBE DELETE ERASE GO AWAY! JUST GO!!Shalendra Majmundar15 Sep
    • Re: R E M O V E ! ! ! REMOVE REMOVE UNSUBSCRIBE DELETE ERASE GO AWAY! JUST GO!!Mr. Anthony R.J. Ball15 Sep
  • Re: memoryYavuz SERT15 Sep
Re: R E M O V E ! ! ! REMOVE REMOVE UNSUBSCRIBE DELETE ERASE GO AWAY! JUST GO!!Fred Lindberg15 Sep
Re: R E M O V E ! ! ! REMOVE REMOVE UNSUBSCRIBE DELETE ERASE GO AWAY!JUST GO!!Darren.Tracey20 Sep
  • Re: R E M O V E ! ! ! REMOVE REMOVE UNSUBSCRIBE DELETE ERASE GOAWAY! JUST GO!!Ed Carp20 Sep
Re: R E M O V E ! ! ! REMOVE REMOVE UNSUBSCRIBE DELETE ERASE GO AWAY! JUST GO!!Fred Lindberg20 Sep