List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Seth Brundle Date:April 5 2003 1:08am
Subject:Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?
View as plain text
OK, I'm closing this thread, as Dan has been the only one who has provided a
link to exactly what I was looking for.
I still cant post through Google Groups, but at least I dont have to
download 40 email messages a day now.

http://www.gmane.org

Thanks Dan!

"Dan Nelson" <dnelson@stripped> wrote in message
news:20030331204028.GB6000@ style="color:#666">stripped...
> In the last episode (Mar 31), Seth Brundle said:
> > First people, please dont get all angry about my suggestion...please
> > hear me out...
> >
> > > I really hate on-line forums.  They're difficult to track because I
> > > must remember visit them daily.
> >
> > OK this is the first issue - 95% of people who need MySQL info do not
> > need it daily. Mailing lists are a poor tool for them.
> >
> > > And I can't use them while disconnected.
> >
> > Hmmmm...seems like some Yahoo! employee has never used  Yahoo! Groups
> > ;)
> >
> > There is plenty of web discussion software (like Yahoo! Groups,
> > although I'm not necessarily recommending that one) where you can
> > still have all of the features of a mailing list, yet also have all
> > the features of web discussion, so there really is no reason to have
> > a mailing list only, except to be old-school.
>
> Yahoo groups are really mailinglists, though, so you wouldn't buy
> anything by moving to them.  Their web interface is also one of the
> worst imho; I preferred the original Findmail interface (circa 98
> before they got bought by eGroups, before /they/ got bought by Yahoo :)
>
> > > I believe there is already a read-only NNTP mirror of this group.
> >
> > The NNTP mirror is actually a double-edged sword - yes it takes care
> > of archiving and searching (via Google Groups), I will agree, but it
> > misleads infrequent users into thinking posting actually does
> > something meaningful.
>
> gmane ( http://www.gmane.org or nntp://news.gmane.org ) mirrors 10
> mysql mailinglists, and is a 2-way system so you can post from it.  The
> preferred access method is with a newsreader, but there's also a web
> interface.
>
> --
> Dan Nelson
> dnelson@stripped

http://lists.mysql.com/mysql?unsub=1

Thread
Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?gerald_clark31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Dan Nelson31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny1 Apr
      • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David T-G1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle5 Apr
re[2]: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Richard Morton31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
    • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jennifer Goodie1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?miguel solorzano1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Michael T. Babcock2 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?John Griffin31 Mar
  • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Damien COLA31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck1 Apr