List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Seth Brundle Date:March 31 2003 11:29pm
Subject:Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?
View as plain text
> > I really hate on-line forums.  They're difficult to track because I
> > must remember visit them daily.
>
> Agreed.  I don't need yet another web page to keep track of.  I prefer to
> let my mail reader thread up the messages on this list, then I browse
> through every now and then and delete everything with a subject that
doesn't
> look interesting.  It's much more convenient than a web forum, and much
> faster too, because

Email lists are essentially push technology.
It assumes that becuase you are interested in something, you are insterested
in it every day.
There is absolutely no information that I need pushed to me every day.
If I want it, i will go there and participate.

Think of it this way - lets say you use 1,000 pieces of software over the
course of the year - this is easy to imagine if you consider ls(1) to be a
piece of software. Its pretty easy to imagine how impossible it would be to
maintain subscription to 1,000 mailing lists (I get annoyed with 10!).

So what makes MySQL so special?

> I don't have to wait for some remote, overloaded server
> to respond.

I dont understand this one at all.
Thread
Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?gerald_clark31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Dan Nelson31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny1 Apr
      • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David T-G1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle5 Apr
re[2]: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Richard Morton31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
    • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jennifer Goodie1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?miguel solorzano1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Michael T. Babcock2 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?John Griffin31 Mar
  • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Damien COLA31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck1 Apr