List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:B. van Ouwerkerk Date:March 31 2003 8:31pm
Subject:Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?
View as plain text
> > I really hate on-line forums.  They're difficult to track because I
> > must remember visit them daily.
>
>OK this is the first issue - 95% of people who need MySQL info do not need
>it daily. Mailing lists are a poor tool for them.

No but those in need of help does. And those ppl who are capable of helping
them are usually busy. Do they keep a browser open and refresh the forum
frequently? I'll answer that question: no.

>The NNTP mirror is actually a double-edged sword - yes it takes care of
>archiving and searching (via Google Groups), I will agree, but it misleads
>infrequent users into thinking posting actually does something meaningful.

Why don't you build a better one?
IIRC sendmail list has both posting via NNTP and mailinglist.

>-Easily break discussion into sub-categories (especially for MySQL, where
>SQL questions are combined with everything else, would be nice to break that
>out)

PHP has several different lists and most questions end up on the general
list. Usually cross-posted to other lists.

>SourceForge is a great idea, but a poorly designed system.
>Obviously a package designed by an engineer, its a mess.

You seem to be a brilliant coder so..perhaps you can re-design sourceforge
and the underlaying code. Anyway, I expect an announcement from you real
soon that you created a mail to NNTP gateway for this list.. You are going
to build that.. right?

B.

Thread
Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?gerald_clark31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Dan Nelson31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny1 Apr
      • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David T-G1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle5 Apr
re[2]: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Richard Morton31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
    • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jennifer Goodie1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?miguel solorzano1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Michael T. Babcock2 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?John Griffin31 Mar
  • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Damien COLA31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck1 Apr