List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dan Nelson Date:March 31 2003 8:40pm
Subject:Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?
View as plain text
In the last episode (Mar 31), Seth Brundle said:
> First people, please dont get all angry about my suggestion...please
> hear me out...
>
> > I really hate on-line forums.  They're difficult to track because I
> > must remember visit them daily.
>
> OK this is the first issue - 95% of people who need MySQL info do not
> need it daily. Mailing lists are a poor tool for them.
>
> > And I can't use them while disconnected.
>
> Hmmmm...seems like some Yahoo! employee has never used  Yahoo! Groups
> ;)
>
> There is plenty of web discussion software (like Yahoo! Groups,
> although I'm not necessarily recommending that one) where you can
> still have all of the features of a mailing list, yet also have all
> the features of web discussion, so there really is no reason to have
> a mailing list only, except to be old-school.

Yahoo groups are really mailinglists, though, so you wouldn't buy
anything by moving to them.  Their web interface is also one of the
worst imho; I preferred the original Findmail interface (circa 98
before they got bought by eGroups, before /they/ got bought by Yahoo :)

> > I believe there is already a read-only NNTP mirror of this group.
>
> The NNTP mirror is actually a double-edged sword - yes it takes care
> of archiving and searching (via Google Groups), I will agree, but it
> misleads infrequent users into thinking posting actually does
> something meaningful.

gmane ( http://www.gmane.org or nntp://news.gmane.org ) mirrors 10
mysql mailinglists, and is a 2-way system so you can post from it.  The
preferred access method is with a newsreader, but there's also a web
interface.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@stripped
Thread
Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?gerald_clark31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Dan Nelson31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny1 Apr
      • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David T-G1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle5 Apr
re[2]: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Richard Morton31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
    • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jennifer Goodie1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?miguel solorzano1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Michael T. Babcock2 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?John Griffin31 Mar
  • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Damien COLA31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck1 Apr