List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 19 1999 4:02pm
Subject:create database & changing root password
View as plain text
>>>>> "mclai" == mclai  <mclai@stripped> writes:

mclai> Hi,
mclai> My MySQL 3.22.25 was installed in Linux RedHat 6.0. I tried to create database
> but failed with the following error message:

mclai> $ mysqladmin -u root -p create dbname
mclai> Enter password:
mclai> mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
mclai> error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: YES)'

mclai> I'm not sure if the above password is correct. If I am the root of Linux, how
> can I change the password of the root of MySQL? Or any other methods I can create database
> in MySQL?

mclai> Thanks in advance.

mclai> M.C.

Hi!

The above means that you don't have a password for the MySQL 'root'
user or that you have given the wrong password.

You can modify the MySQL password by sending a 'kill' to the mysqld
process, start mysqld with the --skip-grant option and then put a new
password for the 'root' user. (Please check the MySQL manual for details)

Yours,
Monty

*************** Warning commercial signature follows **********
If you like TCX's concept of a 'mostly free' database and free
advice, you should at least CONSIDER supporting us, so that we can
afford to continue this service up.   http://www.mysql.com/
Thread
create database & changing root passwordmclai19 Sep
  • create database & changing root passwordMichael Widenius19 Sep