List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:David Brodbeck Date:March 31 2003 7:57pm
Subject:RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?
View as plain text

I know a lot of people who refuse to use Yahoo Groups because of Yahoo's
very open and ever-changing privacy policy.

Most of the other combination web discussion board/mailing list systems I've
seen are not very good at doing mail.  They're web chat boards with mail
notification tacked on.

> If every package I used involved a mailing list for discussion, I would
need to track
> about 40 of them.

How will web boards help?  It's easier for me to glance through a stack of
email folders (sorted by my mail rules) than it is for me to visit a bunch
of web sites every day.  Between logging in to each one individually,
waiting for sluggish page loads, and digging through all the nested
discussion folders it's just too time-consuming.  It's much better for me to
have my mail client collect everything in one spot for me.

> Email is ok for thread tracking if subject integrity is
> maintained, but most
> email clients cant reliably collapse and expand threads.

Microsoft Outlook seems to do it well.  Are you telling me no one but
Microsoft has been able to get this right?

> Sorry, I didnt realize that I didnt need to subscribe to post - but again,
> this is one of those rules for each mailing list that you must remember,
> which is a PIA.

For me the situation is worse with web forums, because every one of them
works differently.  It's confusing.  Plus I have to remember a username and
password for each one, and log on individually, instead of logging on once
to my mail account.  I avoid web forums for these reasons.  They're just a
lot more painful to use than a mailing list.

They're also almost always really sluggish and full of graphical animated
.signatures and brightly colored smiley-face cruft.  Just not worth the
trouble, unless you're a 14-year-old script kiddie who still thinks that
stuff is fun. ;)

I think if the MySQL list went to a web-only discussion board I'd probably
stop paying attention to it.
Thread
Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?gerald_clark31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Dan Nelson31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny1 Apr
      • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David T-G1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle5 Apr
re[2]: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Richard Morton31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
    • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jennifer Goodie1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?miguel solorzano1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Michael T. Babcock2 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?John Griffin31 Mar
  • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Damien COLA31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck1 Apr