List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Morton Date:March 31 2003 10:03am
Subject:re[2]: Could we make this a web discussion forum?
View as plain text
I am with you jeremy... Web based discussion boards are horrible. I never remember to go
daily. I can write my responses to this on the train and send them when I get to my desk.

Rich

 >>  On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:52:43AM -0800, Seth Brundle wrote:
 >>  >
 >>  > I really hate mailing lists - they are dinosaurs for this type of thing.

 >>  I really hate on-line forums.  They're difficult to track because I
 >>  must remember visit them daily.  And I can't use them while
 >>  disconnected.  With e-mail, I download it all in one shot and read it
 >>  anywhere.  I can write responses, queue them up, and send 'em when I
 >>  have a connection.

 >>  > A web discussion board is a much more powerful and flexible tool for
 >>  > this type of community.

 >>  Hmm.  E-mail has been around for a long, long time.  I'm skeptical of
 >>  this claim.

 >>  > Thread tracking, archiving, searching

 >>  E-mail gives you all of those.

 >>  > dont have to download 50 emails a day just to monitor a couple
 >>  > threads...cmon its 2003!

 >>  That sounds like a problem with your choice of mail tools, unless I'm
 >>  mis-understanding your gripe.

 >>  > Cant we convert this into a discussion board or better yet just make
 >>  > the usenet group mirror postable from google groups?

 >>  I believe there is already a read-only NNTP mirror of this group.

 >>  > There are 4 lists like this one where I have to continuously
 >>  > subscribe and unsubscribe throughout the year when I want to
 >>  > participate.

 >>  Why must you subscribe and unsubscribe to participate?  There's no
 >>  membership requirement to post here.  And you can always read the
 >>  messages on-line.  There are at least 2 web archives of this group.
 >>  You've seen those, right?  I know that Google has.

 >>  > Also emails get mirrored on google groups for convenient spam
 >>  > harvesting - its really a pain in the butt.

 >>  How would using a web forum help that?

 >>  Jeremy
 >>  --
 >>  Jeremy D. Zawodny     |  Perl, Web, MySQL, Linux Magazine, Yahoo!
 >>  <Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

 >>  MySQL 4.0.8: up 55 days, processed 1,882,414,788 queries (389/sec. avg)

 >>  --
Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?gerald_clark31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Dan Nelson31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny1 Apr
      • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David T-G1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle5 Apr
re[2]: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Richard Morton31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
    • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jennifer Goodie1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?miguel solorzano1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Michael T. Babcock2 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?John Griffin31 Mar
  • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Damien COLA31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck1 Apr