List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jeremy Zawodny Date:March 31 2003 9:24am
Subject:Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?
View as plain text
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 12:52:43AM -0800, Seth Brundle wrote:

> I really hate mailing lists - they are dinosaurs for this type of thing.

I really hate on-line forums.  They're difficult to track because I
must remember visit them daily.  And I can't use them while
disconnected.  With e-mail, I download it all in one shot and read it
anywhere.  I can write responses, queue them up, and send 'em when I
have a connection.

> A web discussion board is a much more powerful and flexible tool for
> this type of community.

Hmm.  E-mail has been around for a long, long time.  I'm skeptical of
this claim.

> Thread tracking, archiving, searching

E-mail gives you all of those.

> dont have to download 50 emails a day just to monitor a couple
> threads...cmon its 2003!

That sounds like a problem with your choice of mail tools, unless I'm
mis-understanding your gripe.

> Cant we convert this into a discussion board or better yet just make
> the usenet group mirror postable from google groups?

I believe there is already a read-only NNTP mirror of this group.

> There are 4 lists like this one where I have to continuously
> subscribe and unsubscribe throughout the year when I want to
> participate.

Why must you subscribe and unsubscribe to participate?  There's no
membership requirement to post here.  And you can always read the
messages on-line.  There are at least 2 web archives of this group.
You've seen those, right?  I know that Google has.

> Also emails get mirrored on google groups for convenient spam
> harvesting - its really a pain in the butt.

How would using a web forum help that?

Jeremy
<Jeremy@stripped>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

MySQL 4.0.8: up 55 days, processed 1,882,414,788 queries (389/sec. avg)
Thread
Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?gerald_clark31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Dan Nelson31 Mar
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?B. van Ouwerkerk1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jeremy Zawodny1 Apr
      • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David T-G1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle5 Apr
re[2]: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Richard Morton31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
    • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Jennifer Goodie1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Seth Brundle1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
    • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?miguel solorzano1 Apr
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Martin Gainty1 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck31 Mar
  • Re: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Michael T. Babcock2 Apr
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?John Griffin31 Mar
  • RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?Damien COLA31 Mar
RE: Could we make this a web discussion forum?David Brodbeck1 Apr