List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 19 1999 3:40pm
Subject:Indexes
View as plain text
>>>>> "Bill" == Bill Koob <wkoob@stripped> writes:

Bill> Just curious I created an index using ALTER
Bill> on a single 10 character field - it took
Bill> 6 1/2 hours on a 800Meg table with 10+ million
Bill> records. 100 Pentium.  All seems to work
Bill> very well (just very slow).

Note that ALTER TABLE will recreate all indexes, not only the new one.
You can make this MUCH faster by increasing your key_buffer a lot

Bill> Qestion: Would it have saved a significant
Bill> amount of time had I created the index at
Bill> the time I created the table and before
Bill> loading the data?

no.  The MySQL manual has however a couple of tricks involving isamchk
that you can use to add indexes much faster.

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Linux helpScott Mackie15 Sep
  • Re: Linux helpThimble Smith15 Sep
  • select problem on 3.22.21 killing serverjim kraai15 Sep
    • select problem on 3.22.21 killing serverMichael Widenius18 Sep
  • Re: select problem on 3.22.21 killing serverjim kraai18 Sep
    • Re: select problem on 3.22.21 killing serverMichael Widenius19 Sep
      • IndexesBill Koob19 Sep
        • Re: IndexesPaul DuBois19 Sep
        • Re: IndexesBob Kline19 Sep
          • load data infile and indexes [was Re: Indexes]James Manning20 Sep
            • load data infile and indexes [was Re: Indexes]Michael Widenius20 Sep
        • IndexesMichael Widenius19 Sep