List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Ramsch Date:September 19 1999 6:15am
Subject:Re: Solution: Uppercase and Lowercase in ENUM
View as plain text
On Sat, 1999-09-18 16:08:37 -0400, Mike Nolan wrote:
> ENUM Items should be in double quotes.

This is false.

For MySQL it doesn't matter, whether you enclose strings with double
(") or single (') quotes!

(For the exact details of quoting, please see chapter "7.1.1 Strings"
of the MySQL Reference Manual.)

I'm quite sure that any difference in behaviour--which you obviously
experienced--are because of the interface you use to issue the SQL
commands.  There seems to be a quoting-related bug!

Did you make your experiments with the 'mysql' shell program?  If not,
please do!  And I'd be interested, what specific interface you're
using?  (Web interfaces like phpMyAdmin, stand-alone programs like
xmysql, xmysaladmin, etc., some Windows software using the ODBC
driver, Java software using some JDBC driver, or self-written programs
using PHP, Perl-DBI, ...?)

Regards,
  Martin
Solution: Uppercase and Lowercase in ENUMMike Nolan19 Sep
  • Re: Solution: Uppercase and Lowercase in ENUMMartin Ramsch19 Sep