List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 18 1999 9:17pm
Subject:Re: HELP WANTED: Tuning to specific specs
View as plain text
At 3:48 PM -0500 9/18/99, Scott A. Cole wrote:
>We have a high traffic site that is very database intensive (lot's of
>connections, >100 tables, <1,000,000 rows per table). Our dB is very very
>slow when doing complete inserts and updates.

I assume that you have indexes on the table?  If not, there's your
problem.

What do you mean by "complete" inserts and updates?

>Our server is running mysql "3.22.35 pc-linux-gnu on i686", php3 3.07,
>Apache 1.3.6, Linux Kernel 2.2.4 SMP Dual PII 400Mhz, 500MB RAM
>
>We currently have our safe_mysql script invoked like this:
>safe_mysqld --user=$mysql_daemon_user --pid-file=$pid_file -O
>   key_buffer=12M -O table_cache=4M -O sort_buffer=6M -O record_buffer=2M  &
>
>As you can see I have optimized it a bit, and the performance is much
>better, but is there anything further I can do? Other options, different
>memory sizes, anything...
>
>What is the --fast option. I couldn't find any docs on it.

It's used by myisamchk.  When it checks a table, it marks it.
When you run myisamchk, if the table hasn't changed since it was
marked, it doesn't bother to check it again.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread