List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Fred van Engen Date:March 20 2003 2:57pm
Subject:Re: UNION operates incorrectly
View as plain text
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 06:38:04AM -0800, Mike Lemke wrote:
> The topmost query in a series of queries, each connected by UNION ALL, dictates
> the allocated space for data in each column for the resulting row set!  This is
> very bad - and makes the UNION useless.

This is as documented in http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/UNION.html unless I
misunderstand your problem.

"The columns listed in the select_expression portion of the SELECT
 should have the same type. The column names used in the first SELECT
 query will be used as the column names for the results returned."

> Is there some database option that will make a UNION behave properly in mySQL?

Please define 'properly'. What are you trying to do?

> See msg 135092 for sample script if you want to see a physical example.

Which message is 135092? I'm reading a mailing list, not a newsgroup.

Regards,

Fred.

--
Fred van Engen                              XB Networks B.V.
email: fred.van.engen@stripped                Televisieweg 2