List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joseph Bueno Date:March 19 2003 9:41am
Subject:Re: Process Limit on Linux ?
View as plain text
Hi,

Since shm (shared memory) in Unix/Linux is only used to share memory
between independent processes and mysql server is a single process
(multi-threaded), I am convinced that shmmax value has no consequence
on mysql. (OTOH Oracle has a multiprocess architecture and uses
shared memory).

Hope this helps,
Joseph Bueno

Philipp wrote:
> Dear Walt, dear List,
>

> thank you for your reply. Finally a suggestions at all.
> I checked both
>
> /proc/sys/kernel/threads-max
> /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
>
> I dont think threads-max will be a problem, because the value is 14336,
> and i dont think my system will ever have to handle this number of threads.
>
> But researching shmmax at google i got several hits. Most are dealing with
> postgres but perhaps its the same with mysql.
>
> shmmax ist 32 MB. on one page the author suggest to raise this value to 128
> MB.
>
> What are your suggestions for the values:
>
> shmall  shmmax  shmmni ?
>

> Thank you very much,
> Yours Philipp

Thread
Process Limit on Linux ?Philipp16 Mar
  • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?walt17 Mar
  • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?Philipp18 Mar
    • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?Joseph Bueno19 Mar
      • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?Philipp19 Mar
        • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?Dan Nelson19 Mar
          • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?Philipp19 Mar
            • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?Joseph Bueno19 Mar
            • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?Dan Nelson19 Mar
              • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?walt19 Mar
  • Re: Process Limit on Linux ?Philipp18 Mar