List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:September 18 1999 1:08am
Subject:Re: Changes needed to install mysql in a directory besides
/usr/local
View as plain text
At 7:01 PM -0500 9/17/99, Michael Widenius wrote:
> <adrezel@stripped> writes:

>Alvin> 	What are the changes required to install mysql if you do
>not have root
>Alvin> access and have no permissions for /usr/local and you simply want
>to install
>Alvin> mysql in a directory in your home account (IE I'm a student using my
>Alvin> school's account and want to install it for a term project)
>>> How-To-Repeat:
>Alvin>   run this script without root access & no permissions to /usr/locaL
>Alvin>   ./scripts/mysql_install_dB
>
>Hi!
>
>You don't need to be root to run mysql_install_db or start mysqld.
>
>What happens if you do:
>
>scripts/mysql_install_db
>./bin/safe_mysqld &
>./bin/mysqladmin ver

In theory, yes, you don't need to be root.  But mysql_install_db
may want to create directories in places that you have no permissions
for.  For instance, if /usr/local is the installation root,
mysql_install_db is likely to want to create /usr/local/var, which
an unprivileged user almost certainly cannot do.

This problem can be avoided by specifying --destdir=$HOME/mysql
or something when you configure MySQL, then everything will be
configured to live under your home directory and you'll be
able to create any necessary directories there.

--
Paul DuBois, paul@stripped
Thread