List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joe Stump Date:March 15 2003 10:29pm
Subject:RE: Connect via Internet
View as plain text
Just a simple point on security. The current stable versions of 3.23.x don't
encrypt passwords or data. Thus you would be logging in unencrypted and
sending all data unencrypted. If this is just a dev box and you don't care
about the data then it probably isn't a big deal. If it's a production box
you'd be nuts to put it on the internet.

Versions 4.x and above support SSL. You'd have to check the mysql site for
the specifics. Even with SSL support I'd be wary of putting a db server on
the internet.

--Joe

--
Joe Stump <joe@stripped>