List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jesse Guardiani Date:March 15 2003 3:04pm
Subject:Re: FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneck
View as plain text
----- Original Message -----
From: "Warren W. Gay VE3WWG" <ve3wwg@stripped>
To: <mysql@stripped>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2003 4:45 PM

<snip>

> The OP didn't indicate where the files are being kept, and under FreeBSD
> this can be significant. I know for example, that using UFS file systems,
> are very slow compared to newer file systems.

Yes. I am using UFS + softupdates. I wasn't aware that I could run ext3 on FreeBSD.

> However, I suppose, they
> have the trade off that they're perhaps "safer" in the event of a system
> crash. But the disk I/O is much much heavier on a UFS file system, than
> on some of the newer systems, like ext3 file systems. UFS seems to
> insist on doing writes as soon as possible, to prevent accidental loss of
> information due to a crash (just my guess, based upon the experience).
>
> I tried to speed up a very slow PostgreSQL database on UFS once.. I
> turned off fsync(2) for the database, and that helped some, but the disk
> I/O was still enormously extensive for what was going on.  The same
> database under Linux flies (ext3) (with significantly less disk I/O
> activity).
>
> I was glad to see the MySQL supports the InnoDB in a partition (raw
> disk space). This can eliminate the file system from the equation,
> assuming that the necessary caching occurs in either the block device
> or in the database engine (using a raw char device).
>
> --
> Warren W. Gay VE3WWG
> http://home.cogeco.ca/~ve3wwg

FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneckMatthias Trevarthan14 Mar
  • Re: FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneckJohn Wards14 Mar
  • RE: FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneckJoe Stump14 Mar
    • Re: FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneckJeremy Zawodny14 Mar
      • Re: FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneckMatthias Trevarthan14 Mar
  • Re: FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneckwalt14 Mar
  • Re: FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneckWarren W. Gay VE3WWG14 Mar
  • Re: FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneckJesse Guardiani15 Mar
    • Re: FreeBSD + MySQL bottleneckDan Nelson15 Mar