List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 14 2003 3:38pm
Subject:Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open
source
View as plain text
At 9:55 -0500 3/14/03, Bruce Feist wrote:
>Gelu Gogancea wrote:
>
>>To anyone that *didn't see the forest because of the trees*.
>>
>>You already find it.
>>
>Is MySQL really distributed, or just client-server?  I've seen no
>indication of distributed capabilities; I'm new to MySQL, so maybe I
>just haven't read enough.  But a distributed DBMS should be able to
>execute a single query which transparently accesses multiple
>database installations on multiple computers, possibly on multiple
>platforms. For instance,
>
>SELECT * from a, b ON a.id = b.id;
>
>where table 'a' is in a database on a Windows/2000 computer and
>table 'b' is on a Linux machine.  The DBMS should keep track of
>which table is in which database on which computer, and its
>optimizer should be capable of figuring out an efficient way of
>resolving such queries.
>
>Can MySQL do that?
>
>Bruce Feist

No.  A given connection is a connection to a specific server.  You cannot
access tables managed by different servers within a single query.

Thread
Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourcejames13 Mar
  • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceGelu Gogancea13 Mar
    • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceBruce Feist14 Mar
      • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is opensourcePaul DuBois14 Mar
  • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourcegerald_clark14 Mar
  • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceGelu Gogancea14 Mar
    • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceBruce Feist15 Mar
  • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceBrian McCain15 Mar
  • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceBrian McCain15 Mar
  • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceGelu Gogancea15 Mar
    • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceBruce Feist16 Mar
  • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceGelu Gogancea17 Mar
Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceBrian Johnson14 Mar
  • Re: Looking for a bona fide distributed database that is open sourceGelu Gogancea14 Mar