List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 14 2003 2:43am
Subject:Re: Absolute Deletion
View as plain text
At 20:00 -0500 3/13/03, Bruce Feist wrote:
>Paul DuBois wrote:
>
>>At 1:12 +0100 3/14/03, Nico van Leeuwen wrote:
>>
>>When I delete something how do I make sure there isn't a trace of
>>it left? I am looking for a linux shred type solution. There should
>>be absolutely no possibility of data recovery.
>>
>>As far as I'm aware, there isn't anything like this.
>>If such a table has a primary key, you could use it to
>>update all the values in the row to overwrite them, then
>>delete the record.
>
>I'm too inexperienced with MySQL to know if that'll do the trick in it,
>but I do know that it won't necessarily in some other DBMS's.  Under
>some circumstances (specifically, if there's any compression or
>variable-length rows involved), the update can cause a row to be moved
>to elsewhere in its file, much like a delete/insert combination, which
>could leave data physically present although logically inaccessible
>through the DBMS.
>
>Bruce Feist

You're right.  I hadn't considered that.  This can happen in MySQL
as well.
Thread
Absolute Deletion(Nico van Leeuwen)14 Mar
  • Re: Absolute DeletionPaul DuBois14 Mar
    • Syntax to create admin user for a databaseDuSTiN KRySaK14 Mar
      • Re: Syntax to create admin user for a databasegerald_clark14 Mar
    • Re: Absolute DeletionBruce Feist14 Mar
      • Re: Absolute Deletionhooker14 Mar
      • Re: Absolute DeletionPaul DuBois14 Mar