List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 13 2003 4:23pm
Subject:RE: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?
View as plain text
At 15:47 +0000 3/13/03, Tom Norwood wrote:
>Paul,
>I guess I would see the fact that the script would hold the connection
>to MySQL for a shorter period of time, as the most obvious advantage.
>
>As far as OO programming goes the integration of DBI into my object
>would assure that a connection to the database would be established
>automatically before the object's methods try to initiate calls to the
>MySQL server.
>Also a similar point goes for disconnect()-ing from the server, my
>object would 'know' that a connection is available if it exists! So no
>additional coding would be required within my object's methods.
>
>Tom Norwood.

Ah.  I was misinterpreting your message, thinking you meant multiple
*simultaneous* connections.

With some database engines, you'd probably want to use a single
connection and hold it open, because the overhead for connection
setup/teardown is significant.

With MySQL, that's not much of a factor in most cases.  It has
very efficient connection establishment.

Thread
multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Tom Norwood13 Mar
  • Re: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?R. Hannes Niedner13 Mar
  • Re: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Paul DuBois13 Mar
    • RE: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Tom Norwood13 Mar
      • RE: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Paul DuBois13 Mar
        • RE: multiple simultaneous DIB connections?Tom Norwood13 Mar
RE: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Duncan Salada13 Mar