List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 13 2003 3:14pm
Subject:Re: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?
View as plain text
At 14:47 +0000 3/13/03, Tom Norwood wrote:
>I am currently looking at building a Perl object to handle data from a
>a database.
>I'm not really sure if it is best to have one connection to MySQL and
>let the object just deal with its own properties.
>Or to allow the object to initiate a DBI connection each time an instance
>of the object is created, and to disconnect() using garbage disposal.
>
>Although the object initially would only have one instance per script,
>I can't help feeling it is a bad idea.

It's difficult to give you an answer each way unless you tell us why
you suspect it might be a bad idea.  Certainly you'll use somewhat
more resources on both the client and server ends if you maintain
multiple open connections.  What would you see as an advantage to
having multiple connections?

>Any thoughts welcome, and greatly appreciated,
>Tom Norwood.

Thread
multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Tom Norwood13 Mar
  • Re: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?R. Hannes Niedner13 Mar
  • Re: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Paul DuBois13 Mar
    • RE: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Tom Norwood13 Mar
      • RE: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Paul DuBois13 Mar
        • RE: multiple simultaneous DIB connections?Tom Norwood13 Mar
RE: multiple simultaneous DBI connections?Duncan Salada13 Mar