List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 11 2003 6:20am
Subject:Re: problem
View as plain text
At 16:15 +1100 3/11/03, Philip McCarthy wrote:
>Hi Loren
>

>I started over; uninstalled mysql and reinstalled.
>

>The file I used was mysql-3.23.55-win
>

>This unzipped ok and installed into a folder called mysql on my c drive.
>

>Following http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Windows_server_first_start.html
>the first thing I tried was:
>

>C:\mysql\bin> mysqld-max --standalone
>

>I did this by bringing up the cmd window and the following keystrokes;
>

>cd \ (enter)
>

>cd mysql (enter)
>

>cd bin (enter)
>

>mysqld-max --standalone (enter)
>

>I even tried putting a space in front of mysqld-max... as there is in
>'mysqld-max --standalone'
>

>On both occasions the title bar of the dos window changed from 'Command
>Prompt' to 'Command Prompt - mysqld-max --standalone' and the cursor
>jumped to the next line without text on it and stayed there flashing and
>basically locked out - it would not respond to any keystrokes
>whatsoever.

That's the correct behavior.  It's a server that's listening for network
connections.  It's not listening to the keyboard after you invoke it.

Open another console window and type

mysql

to verify that it can connect to the server.

>With regards to my book, it seems odd but it does appear it has unix
>commands mixed in with the Windows stuff - an error I presume but a
>pretty severe one to make.  Anyway, that in mind I won't follow that in
>setting up mysql rather I will use the bonafide mysql manual.  Then I
>should be right to learn the commands from the book.
>

>I note your comments about my.ini and my.cfg and I guess I will look at
>that once I have sorted out the above problem.

my.cfg is the wrong name.  You can use C:\my.cnf as an option file,
or my.ini in the Windows system directory.

>I also note that if I navigate through windows explorer and located the
>mysql exe file in the bin folder in the mysql folder and double click
>it, it seems to start up mysql ok.  When I look at the current processes
>with task manager, there are five instances of mysqld-max.exe.  Does
>this mean everthing is running ok? Also if I type mysql whilst in the
>bin folder, the mysql monitor comes up ok.

Sounds like the server is running correctly.