List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 11 2003 6:13am
Subject:RE: Error while starting mysqld ....
View as plain text
At 6:08 +0100 3/11/03, Harish B M (RBIN/ECM2) * wrote:
>Dear All,
>
>I reinstalled the Linux (SuSE Linux ver 8.0) on my machine and selected
>MySQL from the Linux CD itself. While starting mysqld daemon through
>safe_mysqld script, it is giving the following Error and daemon has ended
>immediatly. I had pasted the messages on my screen below. Kindly let me know
>how can I start mysqld daemon on my system.

Run mysql_install_db (as you apparently did during the first install),
but either run it while logged in as mysql, or run it as root with a
--user=mysql argument.

You must run mysql_install_db to initialize the data directory, but you
want the directories and files that it creates to be owned by mysql.

After you run mysql_install_db, you should be able to run safe_mysqld.

>emclinuxserver:~ # safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
>[1] 3364
>emclinuxserver:~ # Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
>ERROR LOG /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log
>030311 16:00:39  mysqld ended
>

>[1]+  Done                    safe_mysqld --user=mysql
>emclinuxserver:~ #
>emclinuxserver:~ #
>emclinuxserver:~ #
>emclinuxserver:~ #
>emclinuxserver:~ #
>emclinuxserver:~ # cat /var/lib/mysql/mysqld.log
>030311 16:00:39  mysqld started
>030311 16:00:39  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm'
>(errno: 13)
>030311 16:00:39  mysqld ended
>
>emclinuxserver:~ #

>I changes the umask value by setting the file permissions to all, but it
>didn't worked.
>
>NOTE: emclinuxserver is hostname.
>
>Request you reply ASAP.
>
>Best Regards...
>-Harish

Thread
Error while starting mysqld ....RBIN/ECM2) *6 Mar
  • RE: Error while starting mysqld ....Dan Rossi6 Mar
RE: Error while starting mysqld ....RBIN/ECM2) *11 Mar
RE: Error while starting mysqld ....Paul DuBois11 Mar