List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:September 17 1999 5:53pm
Subject:libc5 and MySQL
View as plain text
>>>>> "PONA-Boy" == PONA-Boy  <jeffh@stripped> writes:

PONA-Boy> (newbie question)

PONA-Boy> Hello there!

PONA-Boy> I've just gotten my MySQL compiled and installed on my box. I'm running a
PONA-Boy> dist. with the libc5 libraries and linuxthreads installed along with it.
PONA-Boy> is some mention of problems with resolving localhost with the server under
PONA-Boy> platform. When I do this:

PONA-Boy> 	% ./mysqladmin -u root variables

PONA-Boy> I get this:

PONA-Boy> 	./mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
PONA-Boy> 	error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

PONA-Boy> When I do this:

PONA-Boy> 	 ./mysqladmin -u='root@localhost' variables

PONA-Boy> Everything is peachy-keen... But, unfortunately, this approach doesn't work
PONA-Boy> all things - such as resetting the root users password for the MySQL engine.
PONA-Boy> pointers on fixing it short of moving to a system with the glibc2 libaries?

The above problem shouldn't have anything to do with libc/glibc.

It only means that you have set a password for root.  Check the
entries in your mysql.users table or use mysqlaccess to check what is
going on!

In the second case you are NOT login in as root, but as
'root@localhost@localhost' which probably defaults to anonymous login.

*************** Warning commercial signature follows **********
If you like TCX's concept of a 'mostly free' database and free
advice, you should at least CONSIDER supporting us, so that we can
afford to continue this service up.
libc5 and MySQLPONA-Boy15 Sep
  • libc5 and MySQLMichael Widenius17 Sep