List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Martin Ramsch Date:September 17 1999 5:49pm
Subject:Re: Moving records from one table to another
View as plain text
On Thu, 1999-09-16 23:08:33 +0300, Tonu Samuel wrote:
> Craig Vincent wrote:
>
> > Is there any simple method of moving a record from one table to
> > another...
>
> No.
>
> > I have two tables (members & expired).  Each with the same
> > columns.  I want to move all records from members to expired that
> > have the value C or E in the cancel column.
[...]
> First suggestion is not to move expired accounts. Put the index on
> cancel column and check it in every query. Another ways all include
> many steps of collecting data, writing in another table and deleting
> from first one. At least two steps plus locking around it will be
> there :(.

Namely:
  LOCK TABLES members WRITE, expired WRITE;
  INSERT INTO expired SELECT * FROM members WHERE ...;
  DELETE FROM members WHERE ...;
  UNLOCK TABLES;

And one always should check for errors, of course!

Regards,
  Martin
Moving records from one table to anotherCraig Vincent16 Sep
  • Re: Moving records from one table to anotherTonu Samuel17 Sep
    • Re: Moving records from one table to anotherMartin Ramsch17 Sep