List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:March 4 2003 11:06pm
Subject:Re: Temporary Tables
View as plain text
At 23:00 +0000 3/4/03, Mamatha Balasubramanian wrote:
>Hi,
>I would like to know how MySQL handles multiple temporary tables?
>
>1. Can multiple temporary tables be created at the same time?
>2. If so, how does MySQL differentiate them - do we need to
>explicitly give them different names inorder to identify them or
>does MySQL provide a timestamp (or use some other means) to identify
>the tables?

You can create multiple temporary tables, but they must have different
names.

A TEMPORARY table can have the same name as a non-TEMPORARY table.
The non-TEMPORARY table is hidden to the client that creates the
TEMPORARY table as long as the TEMPORARY table exists.
A second TEMPORARY table with the same name cannot be created.

This is on a connection-specific basis.  Two clients each can create
a TEMPORARY table with the same name.  Only the table created by a given
client is visible to that client.

>I use MySQL 4.0.7 on Red Hat.
>
>Thanks,
>Mamatha

Thread
Temporary TablesMamatha Balasubramanian5 Mar
  • Re: Temporary TablesPaul DuBois5 Mar
  • Re: Temporary TablesDaniel Kasak5 Mar
Re: Temporary TablesMamatha Balasubramanian5 Mar
  • Re: Temporary TablesPaul DuBois5 Mar
    • Re: Temporary TablesWilliam R. Mussatto5 Mar
      • Re: Temporary TablesPaul DuBois5 Mar
    • Re: Temporary TablesKH Chiu5 Mar