List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 27 2003 10:51pm
Subject:Re: exhaust limit of auto_increment int on mysql
View as plain text
At 16:37 -0600 2/27/03, Aman Raheja wrote:
>Hi All
>Suppose I have a table in mysql with a column name ID int(5) primary key
>auto_increment

The (5) is irrelevant. That is the display width, which has nothing
to do with the range of the underlying column type.

>1> What happens when the upperr limit of the integer is reached?

You get a duplicate key error.

>2> What are those limits?

The upper range of the column type.  These limits are documented
in the manual.  If you make the column UNSIGNED, the range is higher,
so you should do that for an AUTO_INCREMENT column.

>I am not a hardcore database person, though do some database stuff for a
>company, so accept the novice question :)
>Thank you
>
>--
>Aman Raheja
>AGF Inc.

Thread
exhaust limit of auto_increment int on mysqlAman Raheja27 Feb
  • Re: exhaust limit of auto_increment int on mysqlJeremy Zawodny27 Feb
  • Re: exhaust limit of auto_increment int on mysqlPaul DuBois27 Feb