List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 22 2003 2:33am
Subject:Re: Problem setting variable
View as plain text
At 20:32 -0500 2/21/03, Jesse Sheidlower wrote:
>I recently upgraded to 4.0.10, primarily in order to be able
>to change my minimum word length on the fly. But I can't seem
>to set the variable! It says it's there when I "show" it, but
>not when I try to change it:
>
>---
>monopoly~ $ mysql -u root -p
>Enter password:
>Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
>Your MySQL connection id is 19 to server version: 4.0.10-gamma
>
>Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.
>
>mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'version';
>+---------------+--------------+
>| Variable_name | Value        |
>+---------------+--------------+
>| version       | 4.0.10-gamma |
>+---------------+--------------+
>1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
>mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'ft_min%';
>+-----------------+-------+
>| Variable_name   | Value |
>+-----------------+-------+
>| ft_min_word_len | 4     |
>+-----------------+-------+
>1 row in set (0.00 sec)
>
>mysql> SET ft_min_word_len=2;
>ERROR 1193: Unknown system variable 'ft_min_word_len'
>mysql>

It's not one of the variables that can be set dynamically. You have
to set it at server startup time.

That's why there's no (global) after it on p. 922. :-)

This makes perfect sense.  Remember, anytime you change this
variable, you have to rebuild all your FULLTEXT indexes.  If you
could set the variable on the fly, you'd introduce the potential
for having to rebuild your indexes all the time.

>---
>
>Any idea what could be causing this? I did a Google search and someone
>reported the same problem on a different mailing list, but with no
>answer.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Jesse Sheidlower

Thread
Problem setting variableJesse Sheidlower22 Feb
  • Re: Problem setting variablePaul DuBois22 Feb