List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ben Clewett Date:February 18 2003 4:11pm
Subject:Re: InterBase vs. Mysql
View as plain text
I'm not here to slag MySQL, but this point is extremely interesting.

Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:
 > Aehem. There seems to be some misconception here. Either your program
 > is fine with MySQL being GPL or not.
 >
 > If it is (and your forking example would work for you) either by using
 > MySQL in a way that your program is not required to be GPL'ed or by
 > GPL'ing your program, you need no commercial license from MySQL AB
 > either, and you can already distribute your program with MySQL without
 > the need of a fork or whatever.
 >
 > Or your program needs a commercial license, than forking MySQL would
 > not help, because you still have to adhere to the GPL. The only reason
 > MySQL AB can hand out a commercial license is because they are also
 > the Copyright holders, which you aren't even after forking.

There is also some middle ground here.  Which is the overlap of the two.
  Where the user (me) wants to use a OSS DBMS, is happy to forward the
source code, inform the customer of the GPL licence etc.

But at the same time produce a commercial application which then uses
this installed DBMS server/client, without effecting the GPL package.

MySQL say that this is an extension of the application, and therefore
breaks the GPL, and therefore a licence is needed.  They are however,
the only big GPL user who thinks this way.  I note for example the
number of companies selling commercial CGI software designed to run on
Apache, server/client, to which no licence is mandatory.  Also Sendmail,
GCC, other DBMS's, and indeed GNU/Linux it's self.

None of these very large groups consider a licence *mandatory* for use
when supporting a commercial application.  I use the term 'mandatory',
they may still choose to purchase a licence.  If they did insist on a
licence, a very large number of very large companies would have to
withdraw a very large number of products.  Eg, IBM who use Sendmail to
support their commercial email servers.

Therefore, I can see no reason why not somebody could fork MySQL into
FreeSQL.  It would take a few hours at SorceForge, a 'sed' of MySQL into
FreeSQL', and a good posting to Slashdot.  Keep it 100% GPL without
breaking either the wording or the spirit of the document.  Remove all
reference to copyright material belonging to MySQL.  It's either GPL or
cpryright, not both.   Then use this without commercial licence...

BTW, as to another posting.  'Either accept the GPL or purchase a
licence'.  I do note another option (apart from forking):  Use something
else.  Is MySQL really that good?  I do worry that with arrogant
statements like this, this is exactly what people will do, in droves.
If that's okay with you, well...

 > HTH,
 >
 > 	Benjamin.

Thread
Slow Fulltext Search on Large TablePeter Bryant18 Feb
  • Re: Slow Fulltext Search on Large TableSergei Golubchik18 Feb
Re: Slow Fulltext Search on Large Tablexing18 Feb
  • Re: Slow Fulltext Search on Large TableSergei Golubchik18 Feb
  • InterBase vs. MysqlMaciej Bobrowski18 Feb
    • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlVadim Vinokur19 Feb
    • Re: InterBase vs. Mysqlmos21 Mar
AW: InterBase vs. Mysqlext) Reiner18 Feb
  • Re: AW: InterBase vs. MysqlBen Clewett18 Feb
  • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlBenjamin Pflugmann18 Feb
Re: InterBase vs. MysqlInandjo Taurel18 Feb
  • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlBen Clewett18 Feb
    • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlBenjamin Pflugmann18 Feb
      • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlBen Clewett18 Feb
        • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlMichael T. Babcock18 Feb
          • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlBen Clewett18 Feb
            • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlMichael T. Babcock18 Feb
            • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlBenjamin Pflugmann19 Feb
            • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlAndy Smith19 Feb
              • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlDamir Dezeljin19 Feb
                • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlDavid Axmark21 Mar
            • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlDavid Axmark21 Mar
        • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlBenjamin Pflugmann18 Feb
  • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlMark Matthews18 Feb
    • Limits and order bysRob18 Feb
      • Re: Limits and order bysgerald_clark18 Feb
        • RE: Limits and order bysRob19 Feb
          • RE: Limits and order bysKH Chiu19 Feb
  • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlBenjamin Pflugmann18 Feb
    • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlMichael T. Babcock18 Feb
      • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlSimon Windsor18 Feb
AW: InterBase vs. Mysqlext) Reiner18 Feb
  • Re: AW: InterBase vs. MysqlBen Clewett18 Feb
    • Re: AW: InterBase vs. MysqlMichael T. Babcock18 Feb
  • Re: AW: InterBase vs. MysqlSteve Sapovits18 Feb
  • Re: AW: InterBase vs. MysqlBernhard Döbler18 Feb
    • Re: AW: InterBase vs. MysqlDavid Axmark21 Mar
  • Re: AW: InterBase vs. MysqlBernhard Döbler25 Mar
AW: AW: InterBase vs. Mysqlext) Reiner18 Feb
Re: InterBase vs. MysqlHeikki Tuuri18 Feb
Re: InterBase vs. MysqlInandjo Taurel18 Feb
Re: InterBase vs. MysqlInandjo Taurel18 Feb
  • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlBenjamin Pflugmann18 Feb
AW: InterBase vs. Mysqlext) Reiner18 Feb
  • Re: AW: InterBase vs. MysqlBen Clewett18 Feb
    • Re: AW: InterBase vs. MysqlCurtis Maurand18 Feb
    • Creating Tab Delimited Textfile to Load Data Into MySQL TableStephen Tiano18 Feb
      • Re: Creating Tab Delimited Textfile to Load Data Into MySQL TableStefan Hinz18 Feb
    • Re: Creating Tab Delimited Textfile to Load Data Into MySQL Tablegerald_clark18 Feb
    • Re: Creating Tab Delimited Textfile to Load Data Into MySQL TableStephen Tiano19 Feb
      • Re: Creating Tab Delimited Textfile to Load Data Into MySQL TableRich Allen19 Feb
      • Re[2]: Creating Tab Delimited Textfile to Load Data Into MySQL TableStefan Hinz19 Feb
    • Re: Creating Tab Delimited Textfile to Load Data Into MySQL TableStephen Tiano20 Feb
re[2]: InterBase vs. MysqlRichard Morton18 Feb
AW: AW: InterBase vs. Mysqlext) Reiner18 Feb
RE: InterBase vs. MysqlJohn Griffin21 Mar
  • Re: InterBase vs. Mysqlgerald_clark21 Mar
  • RE: InterBase vs. MysqlDavid Axmark25 Mar
  • Re: InterBase vs. MysqlMartin Gainty25 Mar
RE: InterBase vs. MysqlJohn Griffin21 Mar
  • Re: InterBase vs. Mysqlgerald_clark21 Mar
  • Re[2]: InterBase vs. MysqlStefan Hinz21 Mar
RE: InterBase vs. MysqlJohn Griffin21 Mar
  • Re[2]: InterBase vs. MysqlStefan Hinz21 Mar
  • RE: InterBase vs. MysqlDavid Axmark22 Mar
AW: InterBase vs. MysqlBernhard Döbler24 Mar