List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Paul DuBois Date:February 14 2003 9:59pm
Subject:Re: Invalid Date Bug
View as plain text
At 16:55 -0500 2/14/03, Peter Grigor wrote:
>Yep, you're right. Never noticed that before :)
>
>I think that would probably be considered a bug. But possibly for
>efficiency's sake the check was made ultra simple.

It can be argued either way.  You could just as well consider it a
bug that you try to shove garbage into your database. :-)

Client-side validation has the disadvantage that you must do it in
each client, of course.  On the other hand, for things like web apps,
you may as well validate the data in the client anyway: Suppose MySQL
validated the date and returned an error for a bad data.  You'd just
have to tell the user that anyway, plus you wasted time sending a
bad query to the server.  If you check the date in your app, you can
tell the user immediately and skip the bad query.

>Peter
><^_^>
>Peter Grigor
>Hoobly Free Classifieds
>http://www.hoobly.com

Thread
Invalid Date BugDon Vu14 Feb
  • Re: Invalid Date BugKeith C. Ivey14 Feb
  • Re: Invalid Date BugPeter Grigor14 Feb
    • Re: Invalid Date BugPaul DuBois14 Feb
  • Re: Invalid Date BugPeter Grigor14 Feb
    • Load Data Infile problem.Webmaster MBT14 Feb
Re: Invalid Date BugPaul DuBois14 Feb
RE: Invalid Date BugDon Vu14 Feb