List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:jkraai Date:April 2 1999 4:50pm
Subject:Re: powers of two in my.cnf ?
View as plain text
Real number analysts favor some other bases like Euler's constant.

Powers of one are an easy intro for the analytically challenged.

Powers of zero are pretty subjective, they depend on
where you're coming from--if you know what I mean.

Set theorists & combinatorial analysts can get funky with powers,
but they depend on the size of the set in question--I'm sure that
_never_ comes up in SQL statement processing circles.

The progression of increasing powers of numbers between zero
and one look like my checkbook balance.

The progression of powers of numbers less than -1 looks like
my checkbook balance over time (less the singularities, which
may or may not occur while I'm not paying attention, have to ask
Schrodinger about that--sorry 'bout my spelling and char set).

Powers of complex numbers are cool, kind of like OO referencing,
"it's right there, raise to power, now it's over there, raise to another
power, oh, now it's over here! ..."

I'll leave powers of Knuth's surreal numbers to another discussion.

Well, have to go renew the subscription to sci.math.ex.mathemeticians.psycho

--jim