List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Richard Reina Date:April 2 1999 4:41pm
Subject:Re: Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?
View as plain text
I am still getting the following error message.

After typing in safe_myaqld &

I get the following message:

starting mysql daemon with databases /var/lib/mysql mysql daemon ended

I then type in mysqladmin version and get the following:

mysqladmin:connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error:Can't connect to local MySQL server(2)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the
socket:'var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!

My ISP has informed me that they do not support MySQL and will not set
me up an account.  Is this why I am getting the above error messages.
If so, is there anyway that I can -- atleast for now -- use MySQL
without the internet since I am only trying to evaluate it as DBMS.  If
I can how do I get around these start up problems.

Michael Widenius wrote:

> writes:
>
> Richard> I believe that I have successfully installed MySQL -- Monty, thank you
> Richard> very much for your help.
>
> Richard> However, after I have started MySQL with the safe_msqld & command I
> get
> Richard> the following message:
>
> Richard> mysqladmin:connect to server at 'localhost' failed
> Richard> error:Can't connect to local MySQL server(2)'
> Richard> Check that mysqld is running and that the
> Richard> socket:'var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' exists!
>
> Richard> Does anyone have any idea what this means and how I can correct it?
>
> Are you sure that mysqld did start ?  Did you have any messages in the
> 'hostname.err' or 'hostname.log' files. (They are in the mysql
> database directory),
>
> Please read the MySQL manual, the MySQL installation section;  This
> contains a LOT of tips how to continue
>
> Richard> Sorry, to bother everyone with what is probably a simple problem -- I'm
> Richard> just trying to get on board with MySQL, because I hate Windows and I am
> Richard> concerned about the long term implications of staying in DOS.
>
> Richard> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Richard> Sicerely,
>
> Richard> Richard
>
> Regards,
> Monty
Thread
Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?Richard Reina30 Mar
  • Re: Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?Richard Reina31 Mar
    • Re: Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?Colin McKinnon1 Apr
  • Re: Is there a MySQL for Dummies Book?Richard Reina2 Apr