List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dr. Frank Ullrich Date:February 13 2003 9:57am
Subject:Re: Is there anything equivalent to Oracle9i's list partitioning?
View as plain text
Hi,

Dan Nelson schrieb:

> In the last episode (Feb 12), Jeff Bearer said:
> > I've recently learned that Oracle has the ability to partition table
> > data, Oracle9i's list partitioning feature.
> >
> > http://www.oracle.com/oramag/oracle/02-jan/index.html?o12part.html
> >
> > I'm trying to find out if MySQL or any open source database has
> > something equivalent to this.
>
> Mysql has things called MERGE tables, which present multiple little
> phyisical tables as one table to the user.  You would have to manually
> insert records into the correct table, though, and MySQL's optimizer
> currently does very badly on MERGE tables, so they're not really a good
> choice yet.

Yes, MERGE tables are not even something like Oracle's partitioned
views, that is to speak there is no "intelligence" behind them. The only
thing mysql does for you if you "select a,b,c form merge_table where
a=something" is to run that query against every "member" table (sort of
a UNION operation).

--cut

Regards,
    Frank.

--
Dr. Frank Ullrich, DBA Netzwerkadministration
Heise Zeitschriften Verlag GmbH & Co KG, Helstorfer Str. 7, D-30625